Thursday, June 3, 2010

Go back to school

I feel like going back to school; studying all over again from class 7th or 8th. Live every moment and make the most of my school life. I wish I could go back to studying all those subjects I hated, only, this time with a fresh perspective; perspective which I have today.

I think I will love to know what happened in the 1857 mutiny and who started the world wars and why? What’s so cool about the ‘Cold’ War. It would be so good to read how the electrical and electronic equipments of my house actually work. That way I will at least treat them nicely…
I hated History, despised Chemistry and never understood why I should be studying Geography/Civics. I had all those feelings but I don’t any more. I now wonder, why couldn’t I realize the beauty of these subjects then?

I was an average student but a curious one nonetheless. I could never study for marks; I did that for happiness. Even at that age…all I cared about was which subject I liked. Yeah, I liked some islands among my text books 

So what’s different today? Why do I want to go back? At least for an average student like me what could have made a difference?
I think, the answer is, a teacher, mentor or counselor, who could show me a glimpse of future. Who, being an experienced person put the education in right perspective for me. Who would not encourage me to work hard on (mug up and recite) my subjects for marks, instead tell me what did people do in life with knowledge of these subjects. What can I achieve in life, if I work harder to tame this subject? And I am not talking about working hard because if I got a certain score, I would get admission into BITS pilani on marks basis. I wanted a teacher who could tell me that there is a sea of opportunities and I can be good at my subjects just to learn, go ahead and make a good life with all this knowledge.

One good life is equal to one step towards building a harmonious society.

I was not a very different person in terms of the capacity, curiosity, aptitude or retention power but I did not have the perspective. So I needed a teacher who could not just tell me when the train would overtake the horse but tell me what fun it is to know this.

Great people are perhaps born. People who do not depend on teachers to polish their skills and yet we could ‘make’ some more better quality people with help of better quality teachers.

Have you ever felt like this?

Then tell me, if teachers could make so much of difference to society, why are teachers not paid accordingly? Do not tell me about professors who get 60-70 thousands a month. Because by the time we reach the age of learning from a professor, we are too old to mend our ways and learn new things. We are opinionated and have already chosen our life paths (more often than not).

If you ever felt like this, do think about making that difference. Let me know when you do…
There is a school in my dreams; I would love to talk to you about that 

1 comment:

  1. Obviously now you can't get a chance to go back to School. But why not open one, or contribute to one in your own ways. Refer to Amir Khan's last two movies :)

    Another point... if you can get 1Kg apples in Rs 100, why would you spend Rs 500?

    ReplyDelete