Friday, August 27, 2010

Oh such a Creamy, ‘Cake’y birthday it was :D

Heylo all, Thank you so much for wishing me a happy birthday. Your wishes came true; Oh I had such a Happy Birthday! I don’t remember after how many years, I was excited like a child on this birthday!
Reason of excitement? Cakes! Only this time in a different way 

As a kid I was always excited about grabbing a bigger piece of cake if it was a friend’s birthday, and hopeful about having left over cake for next day if it was my or my brother’s birthday. Now so many years later I am still excited about cakes, but now it is about baking them!
I remember my brother telling my Mom once, “mummy, ye jab naukari karegi to apna saara paisa bakery mein kharch kar degi…”
Oh what a prophecy my brother made! :)

Since about year and a half now, after my mom got me this microwave oven with ‘Convection’, I am going crazy by the day for baking! I am just so excited when I have to try something new someday!

I took full advantage of my birthday this time, when I made sure that they don’t get cake from outside so that my first cake with icing gets due attention :D
I read and brainstormed to decide on the two cakes I wanted to bake. One day before my birthday, I told Prabudh (my behtar half) about my bakery wish list, thinking he would get me all that:
1) Kitchen Weighing Scale
2) Measuring Cups
3) Baking Tin with removable Base
4) Bigger cake tins
5) And a stock of bakery ingredients :)

Well, Perhaps i was too late. He got me t-shirts and Perfume :). Anyway, I gifted some of the things in my wish list to myself :)

Plan was to make two cakes; One for my friends at office and another for an evening with my family. Since I have been baking cakes for more than a year now, this time what excited me more was, the idea of icing both the cakes. I planned to make a Vanila cake with Cocoa butter icing for office and Fresh Cream Cake for the evening.

I started my day with jam packed thoughts on the cakes I was about to make. Went on to finish the Chocolate cake for office first…. Ok ok may not look like a cake from a sophisticated bakery but this was the first time I did it…So I was on top of the world anyway!!



Next was a bigger challenge; A Fresh cream cake had been on my mind since I first had a fresh cream pineapple cake at my school friends’ birthday party. That was like yeeears ago :). This was a sure shot challenge because I had tried to whip cream twice earlier in smaller quantity and had been disappointed :(. This time I had to whip the full One litre pack of Amul to ice a cake…
Below is what I could make!



It may not have been perfect and professional but I must confess, I was elated, flying, In a bliss, enchanted, mesmerized, and of course ‘Happy!’ on my Birth-day! Thank you once again everyone…you really must have wished from your heart :)

Overall I had cut three cakes, You have heard enough about two of them! :D
Third one was from my friends at office…yummy and beautiful! These days my first thought when I look at a cake is, not about eating it; it is, “I wish I could make such a cake!”
Wish me luck people…your wishes come true. Perhaps some day I will bake all those lovely things on my own.

My birthday is not over yet, I got a Grill Sandwich maker from my Bhaiya-Bhabhi…and I must tell you that it was among the top few items on my non-baking Wish list! I already made my first Grill Sandwich this morning :)
I don't know when did become so fond of Cooking/Baking. It gives me this huge 'Creative' Satisfaction. That said, I really had a wonderful day! Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. WOW Parul both the cakes look totally awesome and delicious. Specially the first pic of the 2nd cake looks like from some bakery and not at all cooked at home! The one with choco icing also looks tempting but wo dekh kar lag raha hia ki icing ghar par kari hai. Vanila icing wala to bilkul bhi nahi kah sakte ki ghar ka hai. I am happy that you had the Happy Cake Birthday this time :)
    -Sanchita
    BTW you know you can cook good eggless cake in the cooker as well with loads of dry fruits. Its really soft and is more like brownie.

    Happy Birthday and Happy Baking :)

    ReplyDelete